Monday, September 15, 2014

9/15/14 Week 2 Johannesburg Temple

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif
Sept 15th, 2014

Elder Broadhead sporting a new haircut.
Well, another week has gone by and things have gotten crazier. This week in Alberton I realized that racism is still alive. It has been kind of sad to see how just because of skin color people are treated differently but I have realized that "black" people are definitely more humble and are more willing to listen to us rather than sick their dogs on us.
This week I was only chased by a wiener dog and a Australian Sheppard so I know that the Lord is watching over Elder Martin and I. Some good news is that Elder Martin and I taught the most lessons in our area in over 6 Weeks! It still seemed very slow and we spent most of our time tracting and getting yelled at in Afrikaans. 

Tuesday- we spent most of this day tracting and finding people but we ran into this lady from Kenya  we talked to her about the BOM and she talked to  us about Joseph Smith and the freemason stuff. We meet with her again this week and help her

Wednesday-  My first Zone Conference. I got to see all the elders in our zone and eat some lasagna. ( it was great to eat american food ) President and Sister Dunn are the best even though, I’m learning so much from them even though they like the Utes ;)

Thursday- all of our appointments dropped :( that basically describes our day and some days are like that!) Tomorrow is a new day.

FRIDAY- on Friday I had the opportunity to go teach in a township. A township is like those things you see in the movies of little shacks made out of tin and wood. I'll send pictures but I have never seen so many people in one place before. It was amazing, we taught a lady who walks an hour to church every Sunday with her 3 kids and brother. I don't think I have ever seen such a humble people. She was so grateful that we took time to come and teach her. and she continues to say she wants to be baptized. Really made my week :) All the black people call us "Mulango" which means white baby and they all try to take pictures of us with their phones.

Elder Broadhead and Elder Martin Johannesburg Temple
Also I got to go to the Temple on this day!! it is so amazing to be able to attend the temple while on my  mission. I loved it and it is a really interesting looking temple. 

Saturday- I got my first experience with a  Bible bash with the Jehovah’s Witness's. Jk you’re not supposed to do that . . we were tracting and these people in church clothes drove past us and slammed on the brakes and Elder Martin asked if they were members and that’s where it began. They talked to us for an HOUR and didn’t stop talking. Elder Martin tried to combat them with his broken English but it wasn't enough. So I asked the couple that was talking to us if we could have a turn. We taught and testified and agreed to take their pamphlet if they would read the BOM. The woman said that "it would be like snorting marijuana" so I think that was a no.   There are so many churches here it reminds me of the south. and everyone has "their own church" so tracting here is verrrrry ineffective, but we will find those elect. 

Sunday- we had 6 investigators at church! and a total of 60 members there so it was a success! I also got to taste authentic Muhaloj which is just like steak that has been cooked for a long time.
They always burn the fields so there's always bellowing smoke.
This week was great and I'm glad I have the opportunity to serve the people of South Africa and be chased by their dogs. I’m still adjusting to the culture, but it’s coming. I love my companion, he laughs at my jokes and he’s a hard worker. I've learned that I have been really protected growing up in Utah and I'm glad that I had great friends who kept me grounded.

Sawego
Elder Broadhead
Madagascar Elders



No comments:

Post a Comment