Monday, September 22, 2014

9/22/14 Zebras and many wives.

WHADDUP FAM,                               September 22, 2014
This week has been one for the books and easily the best week on my mission so far. I didn't get chased by a single dog this week. I am being watched over. I am learning so much. . .  I learned this week that people that have AIDS here are very willing to let you know they have it. I guess it’s just a topic of conversation here.. . . just like the weather. Also the people here have some of the coolest names. I'll throw out a couple of them:  Innocent, God's Gift, God's blessing, Loveness, and Miracle.

So ill get to my week:
Tuesday- we started off by street contacting for about 2 hours and I met some really interesting people. Out of nowhere some Jehovah's Witness people came and started questioning me. They are some of the craziest white people I've ever seen. Then later that evening I had one of the most humbling experiences on my mission so far. We met with this member from Malawi who moved to Johannesburg to provide for his pregnant wife in Nigeria. He lives in basically a closet and sells blankets on the streets and sends the money back to his wife. No coincidence he is one of the happiest people I know. . . .Really a humbling experience.

Wednesday- Elder Martin and I had a pretty great day. We saw a lot of members and one lady that had a spinal fusion about 5 months ago. She is straight from Zimbabwe and her husband died 5 years ago. She requested a blessing so we gave her one. 

Thursday- a day of dropped appointments and we went to this 4 hour fireside about African wedding traditions. It’s called "Labola" or something and it’s just like Johnny lingo where they have to give cows or chickens to the father of the bride as a gift. Obviously a problem here in Africa.

Friday- I got to go to a township called Katlehong. Look it up on google earth, we visited there last week and met again with an investigator named Florence. She walks 45 minutes to come to our church and has come the last 3 weeks. Such an amazing lady. We were able to teach her about the BOM last week and she said that she knows it's true :) she seems so much happier and she said that too. The gospel truly changes peoples’ lives even when they have nothing. 


Saturday- we were able to go to a Funeral. That basically sums up the mood of our day. We then had some dropped appointments and then met with a polygamous family. African traditions are so odd. This guy had a different wife for almost every day of the week. So we taught about how the gospel blesses families hahahahahaahah he was so excited and then we had to break the news. . . and just like that we have one less investigator. pretty funny tho, he was a cool guy. 

Sunday- Church Church Church, we actually had 55 people at our meeting! That’s like a 2 month high. it is so much different than back in Utah, but I realized some of the people here have the strongest testimonies because they don't have people to lean on. We met with our first counselor in the Bishopric and he reminds me exactly like Brad. He is 25 and got back from his mission 2 years ago. hahahah the bishopric here are so awesome, I love them. 



Monday- The reason I emailed so late today was that I went mountain biking in a nature reserve today. It is also my comps bday today so I bought him a cake. The animals there were unreal. I stood 5 meters away from a water buffalo and it was like looking at Pano Tiatia ahahahahaha jk the buffalo was bigger. We also saw springbok and zebra. and I didn’t crash so that’s a blessing. Then I barbecued Elder Martin some ribs and we indulged in the best meal so far on our mission.  
Every week seems to have it's ups and downs but Elder Martin and I have been blessed and we taught 16 lessons this week. That's a 3 month high. So with the Lords helping hand we are continuing the work in this blessed area. I have seen the blessings that come from being obedient and also know that the gospel can change people’s wives. . .  I mean lives J. Have another great week and I love yallllll
Ninjaniii 
Elder Bhead.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment