Monday, August 17, 2015

8/10/15 Hello Springs!!

August 10th, 2015
Hey Family,
Annnndddddddd the long wait is over and I finally found out where I was going on Tuesday. I am in the town of Springs, in the Benoni area. It is a little run down Afrikaan town that has a lot of older white members. I would compare it to downtown Mesquite, Nevada. (if there even is a downtown Mesquite).
      My comp is Elder Henderson from England. It’s great,  he reminds me of a mix between Preston Parmenter and Jake Wagner. That tells you we get along great. He has 3 months left, so I will be finishing him off.https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif
The ward reminds me of a 55 or older branch, they are all pretty elderly and they all bring candy to give to the missionaries at church. So no doubt in the area, I'll find my "mission grandparents" that will take care of us and I will put on 10 pounds.
Anyway I'll share some funny stories that happened this week. First one is that we are teaching this less-active member and after we close I asked to see his wife. So we walked into her room and she was sewing "fireballs" that she does for her business. Interestingggggg. Sometimes the less you know the better.
 The other one was during church our pockets were getting full of all these sugar candies from the older people, then this old guy handed me a thing that looked like a Cadbury egg. So I ate it and it turns out that he pranks new missionaries by giving them a chocolte peanut thing that covered  horseradish. So I was coughing for about 5 minutes. My sinuses were cleared out completely. . . So I have learned . . . .Don't trust old guys. 

A sweet experience that we had this week was that Wednesday morning we got up and went and worked at a soup kitchen. Making soup and then handing it out and giving people french fries. There are so many people in this world who need kindness and compassion. It rang in my mind that serving people is not something I want to do for only these two years but to help and serve for the rest of my life.

Have a great week,
Love Elder Broadhead!!


No comments:

Post a Comment