Monday, August 17, 2015

8/17/15 Year 1 is in the Books!

August 17th, 2015
Hey Family,
This week has been one where I have done a lot of reflecting. The year mark will come on Thursday and it’s really amazing at how fast time passes, especially when you immerse yourself in the work. If I'd make a list of things that I have learned so far on my mission, it would be about as long as Rachel Ray's ingredients list. I am so grateful, even for the hard ones!
So I'll share an experience that Elder Henderson and I had this week that has been the reason why I decided to serve a mission. Last week, we received a message from a member in our ward who was at the chapel cleaning. Supposedly, a lady was waiting at the gate and explained to him that she felt like she needed to come to church and learn more. So we were able to see her briefly on Tuesday, but I was on exchanges and so we saw her again on Saturday. The lesson on Saturday was one of those Golden lessons that rarely if ever happens on a mission. We taught here about the Restoration and needless to say and it was as I envisioned as a young boy dreaming about being a missionary, the spirit was there and incredibly strong bearing witness to her of the truthfulness of the things that were being taught. She acknowledged that this was something that she felt she had been searching for. She even read from the introduction to chapter 18 in 1 Nephi since Tuesday. The field is white and I am so grateful to be part of this work.

 I am so thankful to have the opportunity to serve as a missionary. I can't remember the quote exactly by President Hinkley  that says something like, “ You will come to know  what appears today to be a sacrifice will prove instead to be the greatest investment that you will ever make.”  That is how I feel about my mission. It really isn't  a sacrifice at all to bear the name of our Savior and his true church. It is an honor and a blessing.  It is calling for the rest of my life, not just for 2 years. In simple words, "I LOVE MY MISSION! "


In other news, we visited the same less-active guy and his wife who do fire dancing. . . . After a lesson about the Holy Spirit, they invited us outside and put on a mini fire dancing show as . . . Then he out of nowhere he  just starts literally spitting fire. Last week it was fire bombs this week spitting fire. . . . Only in South Africa, what fun experiences!!!  
Anyway  things are going great here in Springs!
Until next time, love you all!
Elder Bhead

No comments:

Post a Comment