Monday, July 25, 2016

7.25.16 #BestForLast



July 25, 2016
Well family,
I can honestly say that there hasn't been a happier time on my mission then this past week. I think that God truly lived faithful to the ageless saying of "save the best for last." Elder Swindle and I experienced miracles every day, great improvements throughout the mission, and even some back flips and Biltong today for our Pday :)


Like I said I haven't been happier! Who would have ever thought that happiness comes through getting rejected 1000 times every day (it is a rough estimate, really rough) and finding those diamonds that are waiting in the rough. I'll share a couple of the people that we met while we were finding throughout the mission
#1 Jean-David. I was on splits with Elder Weidmann from Switzerland (he knows Elder Martin) and we stopped this guy and he shared that he attended seminary classes in Uganda when he was a minor. He lost contact with the church until last Saturday night! He is now in the Elder teaching pool.

#2 Tsholo- Also on splits with Elder Wiedmann and after we met David, I saw a guy walking toward the car park. So we walked with him and found out that his cousin is a member in the Free-state Province and he had been to church many times when he lived with them there. So he also agreed to see the missionaries and have them over.. . . man, I am going to miss finding all these diamonds. 



Besides the diamonds in the rough that I was able to meet, I also got to revisit and reconnect with a different places and different people. The first place was Rabie Ridge (my second area!) I was able to spend the day with Elder Sorge from Temecula, California who has 2 weeks under his belt, and I had about 2 weeks to go :) We had a wonderful day visiting almost every person that was once taught by  Elder SIbanda and I. Some highlights, Hlalani and Jethro Magutshwa will be going through the temple to be endowed and sealed in October of this year :) and we added a few people to their teaching process. Great to be back in Rabie :)


Another headline was on Sunday, I was able to be companions with one of my former companions :)
Elder Sibanda companion Part 2 We attended church with them at the Munsieville Ward. Munsieville is a small township outside of Krugersdorp, which is about 20 minutes from the mission office. They meet in containers, (yes storage containers) and their small branch is growing slowly but surely! We attended Sacrament meeting and found out that they were having a Missionary Fireside later that evening and we were invited to represent the mission. We presented a 15 minutes lesson on member missionary work and then went on splits with them to end the night. Serving  with Elder Sibanda was just like old times. We visited a member family who had the craziest conversion story that I know. I'll try and attach it below, and then taught another lesson to a less-active family that is working on their family to be sealed, but their kids aren't on the church records.

I guess as I conclude my second to last email as a proselyting missionary, the greatest thing I have learned on my mission is that you can do everything that you set your mind to. Whether it be an excellent teacher, or a brilliant soccer-player, or a burger flipper. We do our very best then God steps in and helps direct and refine. Each of us has unlimited potential inside us and often we set limits that we can only do so much, or go so far. Elder Clegg has rubbed off on me so I will quote Travis Rice "We'll never know our full potential, unless we push ourselves to find it."  I have been able to witness this throughout the course of my time here in South Africa and know that it’s true. Ralph Waldo Emerson echoed the same thoughts with his famous quote. 
“That which we persist in doing becomes easier to do, not that the nature of the thing has changed but that our power to do has increased.”
As we continue to grow in a knowledge of Jesus Christ and His restored gospel, our power to become who he intends us to be increases and we see a  little glimpses of the potential that each of us as sons and daughters of a living God have been given. God is real, He lives today,  and his love is  greater than we can comprehend

No comments:

Post a Comment